Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Performance FAQ's

red02ex
    red02ex
    Head Cheese - Mechanic

Performance FAQ's Empty Performance FAQ's

Post  red02ex Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:44 am

Im going to be working on this over the next few weeks so bare with me any questions please post to help me get this done a bit faster
    HickinaCivic

Performance FAQ's Empty Re: Performance FAQ's

Post  HickinaCivic Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:18 pm

how muhc of an effect does exhaust have on the preformance of an engine?

ie) size of tubing and if you have to do a full exhaust to see any preformance gains
    red02ex
    red02ex
    Head Cheese - Mechanic

Post  red02ex Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:12 pm

HickinaCivic wrote:how muhc of an effect does exhaust have on the preformance of an engine?

ie) size of tubing and if you have to do a full exhaust to see any preformance gains
    well it really depends on the engine and vic. but average gains on say a SOHC honda at the wheels have been between 2-5 hp depending on the brand (some of these tests also had a header), the brands only really differ on the pipe size and muffler, now most decent exhaust for an N/A car in the past use to be 2.1/4 piping which help produce a nice tone and mid-RPM range power.

Now Ive been seeing more and more 2.5 in pipe exhaust system coming out its getting harder to find 2.1/4 anymore, the purpose to that is 2.5 give nice top end power but the true benefit wont be seen until turbo/supercharger or nitrous, most people opt for a 3in exhaust for turbo just for the flow but if your doing a modest turbo setup 2.5 will work fine.

Intake Header Exhaust, I/H/E, is usually the 1st thing ppl do to see modest power gains and the big change is really in the power curve, it helps a suffocated engine breathe better it comes down to how much air can you push threw the engine to gain power thats why turbo is the most popular upgrade.

Now in all reality when it comes down to Our Little 4 cylinders I/H/E on a SOHC honda is a waste of time and money, but on a DOHC you'll actually see a more noticeable diff.

The cars that are in the group that get the most benefit from I/H/E are going to be tyler and chris with there V6 cars which take to "bolt-ons" a lot better then out cars do.

Now to a little bit of technical stuff.

Volumetric efficiency in internal combustion engine design refers to the efficiency with which the engine can move the charge into and out of the cylinders. More specifically, volumetric efficiency is a ratio (or percentage) of what quantity of fuel and air actually enters the cylinder during induction to the actual capacity of the cylinder under static conditions. Therefore, those engines that can create higher induction manifold pressures - above ambient - will have efficiencies greater than 100%. Volumetric efficiencies can be improved in a number of ways, but most notably the size of the valve openings compared to the volume of the cylinder and streamlining the ports. Engines with higher volumetric efficiency will generally be able to run at higher speeds (commonly measured in RPM) and produce more overall power due to less parasitic power loss moving air in and out of the engine.

Volumetric efficiencies above 100% can be reached by using forced induction such as supercharging or turbocharging. With proper tuning, volumetric efficiencies above 100% can also be reached by naturally-aspirated engines. The limit for naturally-aspirated engines is about 137%[1]; these engines are typically of a DOHC layout with four valves per cylinder.

lol thats alot to take in but its a start
    MPH-Mike
    MPH-Mike

Post  MPH-Mike Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:53 am

Well, that was an amazing explanation red . Pretty much I/H/E isn't worth the money you put into for the gains (if you can call it that) on a single cam. DOHC, maybe, but I'd still save up for a turbo instead. If your not gonna swap, but you wanna make more power only way to get real power outta the D series is forced induction. Obviously turbos are the most common. Though I believe theres been one or two people that went the supercharger route somewhere on Honda-tech. I also know a little bit about hondas (used to have a del slow) so hopefully I can help out a little bit anyways.
    meek61480
    meek61480
    Leader - Suspension

Post  meek61480 Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:40 am

i can copy and paste too!!! but he is right.
    red02ex
    red02ex
    Head Cheese - Mechanic

Post  red02ex Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:12 am

meek61480 wrote:i can copy and paste too!!! but he is right.
    copy and paste my ass
    01_4Motion_B5.5
    01_4Motion_B5.5

Post  01_4Motion_B5.5 Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:13 pm

red02ex wrote:
    meek61480 wrote:i can copy and paste too!!! but he is right.
    copy and paste my ass
    lol!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm